Leveraging Wiki for tourism operators - Westport
Date: Friday, 18th September
Time: 11.00am – 12 noon
Venue: EPIC Westport – 10A Lyndhurst Street, Westport
Wikipedia is a window to the world, and every place’s public face. Wikipedia articles are in the first few search results of any topic, and most visitors to the West Coast are getting their information from Google and Wikipedia.
We need to make sure the information visitors are seeing is detailed, comprehensive and accurate. Wikipedia is an encyclopaedia, not a marketing tool, and although you cannot use it directly to promote your business there are other options.
· Wikivoyage – free travel guide
· Wikimedia Commons – free image library
As part of the West Coast Wikipedian at Large project, join Dr Mike Dickison to learn what you can do to raise the profile of the West Coast and your business.
This workshop is primarily for tourism operators; if you would like to learn how Wikipedia works and how to edit it, come along to the all-day public workshop being run in Westport on Saturday, 19th September.
5.30 - 6.30
10A LYNDHURST STREET
Editing Wiki - public workshop
Date: Saturday, 19th September
Time: 10.00am – 4.00pm
Venue: EPIC Westport – 12A Lyndhurst Street, Westport
Join Dr Mike Dickison, as part of the West Coast Wikipedian at Large project, to learn about editing Wikipedia.
In this workshop, participants will learn:
· How Wikipedia works
· How to improve and create articles
· Tips and tricks for formatting
· Adding photos
· The wider issues of the reliability and bias of Wikipedia.
Complete beginners are welcome; training and troubleshooting is provided.
· 10.00: Meet and greet
Introductions, name lanyards, and account creation if needed
· 10.15: Wikipedia tutorial
We'll learn how Wikipedia works and how to improve, create, and reference articles.
· 11.00: Editing
We'll try out editing an article together, and add information from a reference. You can improve existing articles, try uploading an out-of-copyright photo, or improve information in Wikidata.
· 12.30: Lunch/coffee break. Tea and biscuits provided.
· 14.00: Q&A tutorial
A chance to go over any problems or questions you have as a group.
· 13.30: Editing
· 16.00: Finishing up
In preparation, please create a Wikipedia account before the workshop
· Laptop and power cord
· Snacks, lunch and drink
· Resources – such as books, journals, magazine or newspaper articles relevant to Wikipedia articles you’re interested in.
· Photos you’ve taken or art that could illustrate articles – you’ll learn how to donate these to Wikimedia Commons so other Wikipedia articles can use them.